Orchidaceae is a diverse and widespread family of flowering plants with blooms that are often colourful and often fragrant, commonly known as the orchid family. Along with the Asteraceae, they are one of the two largest families of flowering plants, with between 21,950 and 26,049 currently accepted species, found in 880 genera. The determination of which family is larger is still under debate, because verified data on the members of such enormous families are continually in flux. Regardless, the number of orchid species nearly equals the number of bony fishes and more than twice the number of bird species, and about four times the number of mammal species. The family also encompasses about 6–11% of all seed plants. The largest genera are Bulbophyllum (2,000 species), Epidendrum (1,500 species), Dendrobium (1,400 species) and Pleurothallis (1,000 species).
The family also includes Vanilla (the genus of the vanilla plant), Orchis (type genus), and many commonly cultivated plants such as Phalaenopsis and Cattleya. Moreover, since the introduction of tropical species into cultivation in the 19th century, horticulturists have produced more than 100,000 hybrids and cultivars. (Wikipedia)
A lithographic color plate from Ernst Haeckel's Kunstformen der Natur of 1899 showing an artist's depiction of different varieties of orchids
Left: Haeckel Orchidae
Right: Haeckel Orchidae big spots
1. Odontoglossum naevium = Odontoglossum naevium Lindl.
2. Oncidium kramerianum = Psychopsis krameriana (Rchb.f.) H.G.Jones
3. Odontoglossum ramosissimum = Cyrtochilum ramosissimum (Lindl.) Dalström
4. Odontoglossum schroederianum = Oncidium schroederianum (O'Brien) Garay & Stacy
5. Cattleya ballantiniana = Cattleya × ballantiniana Rchb.f. (C. trianae Linden & Rchb.f. × C. warscewiczii Rchb.f.)
6. Cattleya mendellii = Cattleya mendelii Dombrain
7. Cypripedium lemoinieri = Phragmipedium × sedenii (Rchb.f.) Rolfe (P. longifolium (Warsz. & Rchb.f.) Rolfe × P. schlimii (Linden ex Rchb.f.) Rolfe)
8. Cattleya rochellensis = Cattleya warscewiczii Rchb.f.
9. Cypripedium leeanum = Paphiopedilum insigne (Wall. ex Lindl.) Pfitzer × P. spicerianum (Rchb.f.) Pfitzer
10. Odontoglossum wattianum = Oncidium × wattianum (Rolfe) J.M.H.Shaw, Orchid Rev. 121 (1304, Suppl.): 77. (2013)
11. Cattleya labiata = Cattleya labiata
12. Epidendrum atropurpureum = Encyclia cordigera (Kunth) Dressler (1964)
13. Cypripedium argus = Paphiopedilum argus (Rchb.f.) Stein
14. Paphinia rugosa = Paphinia rugosa Rchb.f.
15. Zygopetalum xanthinum = Promenaea xanthina (Lindl.) Lindl.
16. Oncidium laxense = Oncidium loxense Lindl. / Cyrtochilum loxense (Lindl.) Kraenzl.